Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Different Side of Cary Grant

Jennifer and Cary Grant (Photo from Parade.com)

This past Sunday, CBS Sunday Morning news ran a great segment on Jennifer Grant reminiscing about her famous father, Cary Grant. The segment includes many photos and home movies of a young Jennifer with her dad. My favorite is a clip of Cary dancing with his daughter and just having fun being a dad.

Director, writer, and film historian Peter Bogdanovich is also interviewed in the segment. Bogdanovich discusses how Cary Grant got his start in Hollywood and how the actor created the persona of Cary Grant. Bogdanovich shares a memory of when he, with then girlfriend Cybil Shepherd, attended an event with Grant.  Bogdanovich retells the story in his spot on Cary Grant impression, explaining that when they approached the ticket taker Grant said, "I'm terribly sorry, I forgot my ticket. May I get in please?" As the ticket taker was looking for his name, Grant says, "It's Cary Grant." "You don't look like Cary Grant," said the ticket taker. And Bogdanovich remembers that Grant, "as quick as wink" said, "I know, nobody does." 



If you missed this segment when it originally aired this past Sunday, it's worth a view. 

Your thoughts?

5 comments:

Raquelle said...

I didn't catch this segment so thank you so much for posting it! Will definitely watch it.

Have you read Jennifer Grant's book about her dad? I had fun reading it. It's a very beautiful tribute to him. They seemed to have a very loving relationship and Cary Grant especially was so happy to be a dad.

Robby Cress said...

Hi Raquelle,

No, I haven't read her book yet, but it has been on my list of books to read. I'm trying to devour quite a few intriguing books that have come out in the last several months, so I'm sure I will get to Grant's book eventually. I remember you reviewed that book in the past.

Cafe Noir said...

I don't know if you or your readers would be intersted, but I had a sort of funny Cary Grant encounter. Even though he was retired from films and I knew he didn't want to do anymore movies, I had sent him a letter asking if he'd want to see a script of mine with the possible intention of being in it. He called me on the phone and was as charming and gracious as you would expect. But there is a funny aspect to the story. However, to keep this short here you can see the whole story on the BIO PAGE of my website: www.PaulDMarks.com. Scroll down to the True Stories section and under the box with the Hollywood Bowl story is the Cary Grant story.

Robby Cress said...

Hi Paul,

I read the story about your encounter with Grant. What an experience! It's great to hear that someone of his stature, and Gene Kelly for that matter too, were so grounded that they made those calls themselves. It's hard to imagine stars of their caliber today doing the same. Great story!

Cafe Noir said...

Hi Robby, When I was starting out I tried contacting anyone and everyone I could. And what I found more often than not is that the bigger they were the nicer they were. The mid-level people, whether stars or producers/executives were often more snooty and full of themselves.

And I think today if one were to try doing what I did they'd be arrested for harassment or some such BS.

I mean, Gene Kelly actually invited me to come to his house and he didn't know me from Adam. Can you imagine that happening today?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails